A Family's Journal

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Fly Away Home



Last week we let Peeps fly the coup. He sat on his little door to his cage and looked around at the big open world for about 5 seconds and took off. I thought he was up on the wires with a group of birdies that looked exactly like him...and then later that afternoon I heard his characteristic chirping coming from a neighbor's yard. I went to investigate and I would call out "Peeps" then he would fly out from their pear tree land on a branch with a good view point and chirp at me very enthusiastically and just watch me from above. I knew it was him from the erratic way he would fly and the very distinctive chirping. He never came back to me though. I checked on him frequently through the day and the next day and he would always talk to me but never fly back. Then one day after work I didn't hear or see him any longer. I hope he found some friends and has made his way in this big world. It was an amazing experience bringing this bird up and saving him from an untimely death if I would have left him where I found him 6 weeks ago...(a new hatchling whom had fallen from his safe nest). It is one of the things I am going to ask about when I die and get to heaven...."whatever became of my little Peeps?"?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home