A Family's Journal

Sunday, October 21, 2007

**Reach for the Stars**



For those of you who are unfamiliar with the program AJ took part in let me give a brief synopses: The kids participate in a reading program where it is recommended that over a 10 day period each child tries to read at least 30 minutes a day, or 300 minutes over the 10 day time frame. The children also collect pledges from family and friends, 50% of the pledges earned is for the child to pick books out for themselves to enjoy, the other 50% goes to the child’s classroom for new books to be purchased.
On the night of the Harvest Carnival winners were announced for 3 categories…most minutes read by one person, most pledges collected by one person, and then most minutes read by an entire classroom. I am proud to say that AJ received a trophy for most minutes read by one person! This was against every child in the school from kindergarten up to the 8th grade. If you ask AJ how hard he worked to earn his trophy he will say "eh...it was easy". Well reading does come rather naturally for him and I think the Reach for the Stars program created a little bookworm out of our AJ. I am proud to say that AJ read 1,040 minutes total in 10 days time, earning him the well deserved trophy for most minutes read by one reader in his whole entire school. Our little guy was pretty much overwhelmed and speechless…I knew what was going through his head though, he has always wanted to earn himself a trophy…he has even wanted to buy them at thrift stores and yard sales…and I have always said to him that it is much more rewarding and gratifying to earn one for something worthy…and now he did! And I am so glad that part of my costume that night consisted of wearing sunglasses because as I watched my little boy receive his award I was teary.

1 Comments:

  • YEAH! Way to go Austin! We're so proud of you!!

    XO T/C/D

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home